Burdick is located three miles south of the Old Santa Fe Trail in Morris County. More information coming soon!
Burdick is situated in southwest Morris Count on the edge of the Flint Hills.
The history of Burdick dates back to 1880, when the Swedes arrived in the area. They found prairie land inhabited only with antelope, prairie chicken and jack rabbits. Previous to that a few Russian Mennonites had stopped by and to tried to raise wheat, but they became discouraged and went on west. The first Swedes to arrive were very impressed and encouraged other to join then and soon there was a small settlement of people.
Being of strong religious faith, they organized churches. At first, they met in homes. The Lutheran church was organized is 1884, the Mission Friends in 1885, and the Methodist church in 1892. In 1889, the Lutherans were able to build a church and Mission Friend and the Methodists soon followed. The Hebron Lutheran church and the United Methodist Church are still active and a basis for most community activities.
Burdick is a farming, cattle ranch area, with lots of wheat farmers along the other crops. Although there are not too many Swedish people in Burdick anymore, the citizens remain proud of their Swedish heritage and still celebrate Swedish customs. Dala horses adorn the home, and many Swedish dishes are prepared regularly.
By 1910 the town had a population of about 225 people and boasted a bank, a money order post office, telegraph, and express offices, and several churches. At its peak it also sported a grocery store, general sore, two banks and both grade school and a high school. The first school was built a little west of the present town and in 1914 a fine brick building was built for the elementary school. In 1921, in cooperation with Diamond Springs, a High School was built. The first graduating class of Diamond Valley Hight school was in 1923 with 3 students. Due to decreasing attendance, the high school closed its doors in 1957, sending students to school at Lincolnville in Marion county. Students from Burdick attend the Centre school district today. Since the consolidation of schools, the grade school building has been the home of the American Legion Post and serves as the center for community activities. Today we still have Burdick Meat Locker, a family-owned business since 1921 that is known for its meat processing, beef jerky, and potato sausage; and Burdick Oil Company, a family owned, full-service gas station and ranch supply that celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2008. Burdick is an unincorporated community that is located 27 miles southwest of Council Grove.
Originally the town was known as Linsdale. When the Santa Fe Railroad came through in 1887, they named the station Burdick, for the sweetheart of one of the Santa Fe officials. Mail had previously been brought to the area three times a week by a route from Council Grove to Marion. The mail was deposited near Six Mile Ranch. In 1887 a Postmaster was appointed, and Burdick had its own Post Office. The first Postmaster was Dr. Cyde L. Reed. With a Railroad, a Postmaster and churches, Burdick became a town. In 1922 the banks were joined to become the Farmers State Bank.
Burdick citizens have always shown pride in their town by keeping the buildings painted, well maintained, and the lawns neatly mowed. In the early 1900’s, Rodeos, Fairs and Field Days were held at Burdick. Large crowds would gather not only for the event but to visit and reminisce. Since 1972, Burdick has hosted, through the Council of Clubs, a Labor Day celebration which includes a community church service, parade, arts & crafts, fun run, pedal pull for children, and homemade ice cream. This event brings up to 2,000 people to town. In 1987, Burdick’s centennial was celebrated at Labor Day.
The Burdick community is withstanding change as old-timers pass on and new people move in and call Burdick “home.” Our most famous citizen, Nancy Landon Kassebaum-Baker has retired from the U.S. Senate, so we enjoy visiting with her more often. The churches are strong, the people are cooperative, and they look forward to the future. Organizations, in addition to the churches, include: Burdick Hustlers 4-H Club, Burdick Council of Clubs, Burdick/Diamond Valley Volunteer Fire Department, and Burdick Bunch Relay for Life Team.
Elevation: 1453 feet
Zip Code: 66838
Area Code: 785
School District: 397
Find a Local Business
- Barbers / Salons
- Business Consulting
- Clubs / Organizations / Churches
- Convenience Stores / Gas Stations
- Emergency Services
- Finance / Legal
- Food / Dining
- Health / Medical
- Home Decor
- Home Improvement / Development
- Home Security
- Pets and Pet Care
- Real Estate
- Septic Service & Portable Restrooms
- Sports / Recreation